Moving to Australia

Moving to a new country can be stressful and overwhelming, ensure that you are meticulous in planning your move.


Before you move to Australia you will need to ensure that your financial affairs in your home country are in order. Both British and American citizens have to pay taxes in their home country and Australia alike. According to the guidelines set up by Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC) British nationals who are residents of the UK have to pay UK taxes. Your claim for non-residential status should prove that you have no connections to the UK including: owning property, holding membership status at any sports or social club, having a cellular phone contract or children going to schools or universities in the UK or even visiting your homeland regularly could make you liable for UK tax. By not paying British taxes you run the risk of having your citizenship revoked. British citizens in Australia are still allowed to have a UK bank account but this could also make them liable to UK taxes. American citizens living overseas are not allowed to possess an American bank account from which they regularly transfer large amounts of money because of the anti-terrorism laws. Americans however are still required to pay taxes as long as they maintain their American citizenship.
You will need to set up a bank account in Australia.

Travel to Australia

Before you leave for Australia be sure to have the following documents:

  • Passport
  • Originals of your birth and marriage certificates
  • Medical records: including complete immunization records for you and your children
  • Proof of employment
  • School or university records for your children.
  • If you are moving to Australia for University then you will need an acceptance letter from that university.


On your journey from the U.S. or the U.K. you may encounter issues with customs if you fail to declare that you are traveling with more than US $ 10,000.00 or if you are traveling with and exotic or illegal plants.
You may want to review the laws of customs in the country you are traveling from and that of Australia as well. These laws may restrict travel with weapons or religious and cultural items.


The main currency of Australia is Australian dollars (AUD)
1 EUR = 1.3233 AUD
1 GBP = 1.56386 AUD
1 USD = 1.0065 AUD
It is advised that you exchange your currency at your nearest cambio to avoid spending your native currency; this will allow you to be less susceptible to scams. Cambios at the airport usually offer you less for your money so do not exchange large sums of money there.

At this point you should already know your mode of travel from the airport to your new home. If you are planning to use a taxi service then you may book at: your company should provide a car service for you to make your travel process as easy and accommodating as possible.

Living in Australia

Your company may have already provided housing for you, this is usually not permanent or even if it is so you may want to purchase property in your new country. Real estate agents are easy to find but you may want to consider the proximity of your potential property to hospitals, schools and other emergency services.

Education system

The education system in Australia is modeled from that of the British system, private and public schools are monitored by the government and public schools are fully subsidised. Private schools on the other hand may have high tuition fees. Americans may have a harder time adjusting, since the customs and cultures are different, approximately 22% of all schools are catholic and all schools require uniforms. SAT’s are available for every student who wishes to attend university in the United States.

Health care and other emergency services

Primary health care for public hospitals are funded by the government. Private hospitals offer you your choice of doctor and cut your waiting time in half but they also will cost you. Pharmaceuticals are heavily subsidized by the government.
Emergency services are extremely efficient but can take time if you live in less populated areas.

For ambulance, fire and police dial: 000
For prescription information: 1300 888 763 (Monday to Friday 9 to 5 PCT)
For more information on moving to Australia visit: