Living in Spain

Spain has more than 5.5 million foreign residents. People from all around the world come to study, work and live in this country. The country is well known for its interesting tradition, music, food, great climate, and arts. The economy is stable, and it makes Spain even more attractive to foreigners.

How to Immigrate to Spain

To live in this beautiful country, you will need one of the following types of visa:

• Student visa
• Work visa
• Short-term visa
• Residential visa

If you are an EU citizen, you won’t have any problems. You are allowed to live or work in any EU country, without a visa. All you need to do is register at your local Office of Foreigners (“Oficina de Extranjeros”) and get a NIE number.  After this, you will get a Certificado de Registro. For Americans, the immigration process is not as easy as for European people.

What Is a NIE Number?

This number is actually very important, because if you don’t have it, you won’t be able to buy things like cars, houses, etc. You won’t be able to conclude any contracts with electricity suppliers, or telecommunication companies. You can’t get an insurance policy without this number. To use services  like health or social services, you will need a NIE number.

Non-EU Citizens

If you are an American, you won’t need a tourist visa, because the United States have a special agreement with Spain.

If you don’t come from the United States, you will need to apply for a visa, which can take some time. If you apply for a tourist visa, you will be allowed to stay in the country for three months (out of 180 days).

To live in this country, you will need a residency visa. Different types of residency visa include investor, working, retired, etc. You should visit the Spanish consulate in your country to get more information on getting a visa.

You will need the following documents:

• Medical certificate
• Passport
• Birth certificate
• Criminal record certificate
• Passport photos
• Copies of all documents

Certain types of residency visa will require more documents. You may need to provide a proof that you have a job offer in Spain.

For residence permit, it will be wise to consult a legal advisor, because this process can be a bit complicated.

People who stay in Spain for longer than 90 days must have Certificado de Registro.

Living in Spain

First, you need to start learning the language. Many people in this country speak English, but life will be much easier when you start speaking and reading Spanish.

You will have to get used to a new culture and lifestyle. Spain is an interesting country, but some people just need more time to adapt to the new environment.

Here are several useful websites you can visit to learn more about expat life in Spain:

Living in Spain
Expat forum
Cost of Living in Spain