Study in Finland

If you want to study abroad, Finland is a good choice. This country has an excellent education system, open civil society, great political culture and beautiful nature.

Why Finland?

The country is beautiful and everything is well organized. Higher education institutions  are not too big, which is a good thing. This leads to higher functionality and efficiency.

The universities in Finland are internationally oriented, and each of these has special regional features.

These institutions are largely funded by the Government, but they are still highly autonomous. The Ministry of Education controls the quality of teaching.

There are many different types of  programs for English-speaking students.

Here are some of the top universities in Finland:

University of Turku
University of Helsinki
University of Eastern Finland
University of Tampere
Helsinki Education and Research Area
University of Jyväskylä
CIMO – Centre for International Mobility
University of Oulu

Scholarships and Tuition

To study in Finland, you must have enough money for your travel, everyday-living expenses and insurance. In some cases, non-EU students need to pay tuition for some master’s programs. Even if you don’t have to pay tuition, you will still need to have enough money for your everyday-life expenses.

Scholarships are available for research programs and Doctoral level studies. There can be some exceptions. Non-EU students, who’ve been accepted to a master’s degree program (and have paid tuition), can get institutional scholarships. For Doctoral level studies, you can apply for CIMO scholarship.

There are no tuition fees for EU students who are accepted to bachelor’s degree programs.

How to Apply

Anyone who wants to stay in this country for more than three months must have a visa. Visit the embassy of Finland in your home country to apply for a student visa.

You will need:

• An application form and a photograph
• A letter of acceptance from the university in Finland
• Accommodation documents
• Health insurance documents
• Financial support documents (a certificate from the bank, proving that you have enough money to support yourself, or a document that shows you’ve got a scholarship).

When you arrive in Finland, you will have to show your travel documents, your visa and your insurance document. You will need to prove that you have enough money (40 E/day) for your stay. You also need to prove that you have enough money to return home.

The Cost of Living in Finland

For a student,  the cost of living  is nearly 800 E / a month. This will include travel expenses, accommodation, food bills and transportation. To take care of your medical insurance, you can join the student union. Member students are always offered all kinds of help.

Read more about:

Study in Helsinki
Study in Tampere Region
Study in Vaasa
Study in North Finland

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 0.0/10 (0 votes cast)
Subscribe to Comments RSS Feed in this post

One Response

  1. Hi there, be more specific I agreed with this article. I´m myself here is foreigner student who came to Finland to study the International Business Bachelor Degree here from a University of Applied Sciences. It was great. It is more than what I expected.ha ha… I didn´t have chance to make tons of friends from all over the world but hundred yeah… People from many countries comes here either for exchange programs or whole degree 3, 5 years just like me. Each international group is arranged with small size from 14 to 30 students. There are variety of either compolsory courses and optional courses, there´s a supervisor who is your guider. You can make plan based on your own interest field and participate which lessons. Teachers are really helpful and kind. I´m doing my last year in Kymenlaakso University of Applied Sciences. Eventhought Kouvola is a small town but it has good transportation ( both bus and railway to Helsinki- the Capital). I have met and make friends with students from China, Germany, France, Russia, Netherland, Spain, Italy, Lithuania, Hungary, etc. I have a lot of friends studied in another city but I think actually I´m enjoy to be different in this small town.The universities also have the student club that informs us every weekends´ parties. Especially quite often there´s a special student night that we can joined well but I must say they speak pretty much Finnish he he…. In first year, we mostly spent time with International group partying in the student campus and then all of us will join in the downtown together. Sometimes, we also has joined the faraway trip in Helsinki or neighbourhood areas. It was really nice experience.

Leave a Reply